WARNING!There will beEndgame spoilerthe sequel to Fallout 4!Only continue reading this if you've finished the game or don't mind being spoiled. You can also play this mod if you are a new player or you never completed the main quest but you shouldavoidRead the description if you don't want spoilers.
The short version is that this mod opens up the possibility of a happier alternate ending, at least if you play your cards right. Everything else remains unchanged.
Father's Companion: Alternative Ending Option for Fallout 4
I started creating this mod in 2018 and since then I have found new things to add to the mod and fix blemishes through regular updates and volunteers helping with various aspects. It's probably time to shorten the description and include only the relevant information as of the latest 5.3.5 update. Please see the changelog page for more details, but basically the dialog has been greatly improved and many new features and compatibility fixes have been made.
Section 1: The main features
- Several new immersive missions
- completely new dialogue isvoice and lip sync(and no, we no longer use text to speech)
- new companion and settler (parent), which can be carried together with other companions at the same time
- new comments from some of your companions and faction leaders if the father is your companion
- an indestructible high school power armor for your companions (works on father and others)
-You don't have to side with the institute.
- new endgame cinematics in the style of Fallout 3 and New Vegas (does not replace standard cinematics, plays after a while)
- new rewards for successfully completing the mod
- Mod settings are available via holotapes in the chemistry station (since mods can't edit the in-game menu that easily), you can turn cutscenes on and off, enable key NPC removal, and disable features that could cause problems with other mods and much more
Section 2: The Back Story
Has it ever bothered you that there is no way to save dad and cure his cancer? As far as Fallout lore goes, it's 100% possible, but unfortunately the standard game hasn't explored those options.
Forget about the fact that an organization capable of teleportation, the creation of adult grown humans in a lab, and biological immortality (Kellogg's cybernetic enhancement) should have beaten cancer by now. Biological immortality itself is quite common in fallout lore. Ghouls can live forever (or at least no one has ever seen one die of old age), the same is true of super mutants created by the Forced Evolutionary Virus, the same is true of Gen 3 synths, the same is true of the pre-humans of war who kept their brains in mason jars, and the Cabot family in Boston have found an alien artifact that allows the user to live forever (and any blood derived from it also allows others to live forever), when you know they are all over 400 years old. Ironically, X6-88 himself recommends giving Jack Cabot's Mystery Serum to the Bioscience team, but that's never an option in-game. There is also the possibility that the hidden area of Vault 81 or Med-Tek Research have done extensive medical research.
Anyway, this mod will give you few options to save dad, it won't give you all possible options, but I think you will be happy with the result. If you want to find out for yourself, stop reading and download the mod. If you want to know more, read below.
Section 3: Getting started
From the moment the father announces in the boardroom meeting that he is dying of cancer until the end of the main mission, you have the chance to save his life.
There are really only two main "happy endings" to the Father story. Either you use a modified version of Jack Cabot's mysterious serum to cure him as a human, or you use the Forced Evolutionary Virus to rescue him as a super mutant.
To save him as a human, you must work with Dr. Dean Volkert, which means he must have access to the institute on friendly terms. He can usually be found in the institute's infirmary during business hours. Bring him a sample of the Mysterious Serum (Valkyrie Serum from Project Valkyrie mod works too) and a copy of Vault 81 Medical Research (new item found in 3 copies in Vault 81 hidden area). If you give him these two items, he can cure a single dose of cancer. Also, a language test must be passed, as Dean is reluctant to use the serum given his father's unfavorable view of biological immortality and his cessation of the program that allowed Kellogg to live over 100 years.
To save him as a super mutant, you must use the Forced Evolutionary Virus (FEV). One sample is in Virgil's old lab, the other can be given to you by Dr. Dale to Volkert if you can convince or force him to share them.
In both cases, you can Dr. Volkert also kill or steal from the bag if he refuses to part with the cure or FEV.
Whichever option you choose, you have to administer the cure on his deathbed, which is near the end of the game's main story.
Section 4: The Effects of Faction Choice
The mod allows you to save Shaun and get him as a partner.even if you oppose the institute, but decisions have consequences, so weigh them very carefully.
For example, consider your agreement with Lorenzo Cabot that the Mystery Serum is for your personal use only. Note that when facing Lorenzo, the Mystery Serum itself is in limited availability. Also note that there isn't even a way to talk to Dr. Volkert if he rejects the institute early on, leaving you with only one option to save Shaun, the FEV.
Section 5: Shaun After Search and Recruitment
If you oppose the institute, Shaun will get out of bed and reach the molecular relay. After the final conversation with Sturges/Ingram/Tom, you have the option of assuring him safe passage out of the Institute if your faction teleports.
If you side with the institute, Shaun will fake his death and you'll still be the principal. This happens whether I tell the truth about the cure/FEV, lie, or say nothing.
You can find him later in Vault 111. He will also send you a messenger with instructions on where to go if you forget, but you don't need to meet the messenger.
Keep in mind that if you blow up the institute you will have to pass onedifficult language testrecruit father. You only get one chance.
Once this is done, the final new movies will start playing.
Section 6: Modified Alternate Endings
There are mods that give you complete alternate endings for the game, such as:
nuka world reborn
Subversion: The Alternate Ending of the High School-Railroad Alliance
conquer high school
There is support for the end of Project Valkyrie (The revolution will not be televised) and some (limited) support for Conquer the Institute and Galac-Tac Retribution. If he chooses these endings while keeping Father alive, he'll escape the institute, though the final movie focuses on Project Valkyrie with footage of the reformed Sininstitute. You can find it in Vault 111 after the end of the game.
Since these endings don't include the Nuclear Family quest, you can't heal Father until after he's already left the Institute. At this point, you no longer interact with Dr. Volkert, instead you can give Shaun the serum and the Vault 81 papers directly. Any previous progress made with Volkert will be carried over, so you may be able to heal him right away, or just need one item of the two. Shaun won't accept the FEV, but you can stop him and force him to take it.
The mod is also Subversion compatible, no issues here as you have to follow the vanilla quest Nuclear Family anyway before you can reform the institute. The father plays no role in this reform.
I'm afraid there is no support for other alternate ending mods, but you can force the game to spawn the Father companion in Vault 111 using a holotape trap that simulates the result of Project Valkyrie's completion, regardless of which Mods you have installed or not. .
Section 7: Other Results
There are several other ways to complete the father's story.proper kinematics.
1. You can disown Shaun after saving his life (even if you side with the institute) or just reject him as a partner. If this option is chosen, he will inhabit Vault 111 forever, wandering around as if he owned the place. You can also disarm Shaun and lock him up in Diamond City Jail.
2. You can offer him a mercy death by lethal injection on his deathbed. Remember, this is murder and you will become hostile to the Institute.
3. You can use a special holotape to drop the quest for Shaun if you haven't reached the Institute yet, triggering what I call the "Vice Ending" movie, which highlights the lack of faction choice, the descent shows the despair of the Sole Survivor . and not find Shaun.
4. Another hidden movie, "Overboss Ending" (Raider faction's choice) is available and will now play automatically if you meet the following requirements:
- Powerplay completo
- hostile to the Railroad (does not need to be destroyed)
- hostile to the Brotherhood (does not need to be destroyed)
- Preston Garvey and Sturges are dead (basically the Minutemen can't help him get to the Institute anymore)
- All this must be done before arriving at the institute
5. You can destroy all 4 factions and trigger another special movie called "Psycho Ending". The requirements are not too strict:
- The Brotherhood is considered destroyed when Maxson is dead or when Prydwen is destroyed
- The railway is considered destroyed when Desdemona is dead
- The Minutemen are considered destroyed if Preston Garvey is dead (Sturges is optional here)
- The institute is only considered destroyed if you atomize it, regardless of whether the father is saved, killed, or simply left to die.
One possible route to that ending would be to use the Railroad to destroy Prydwen, kill Desdemona, use the Minutemen to destroy the Institute, and finally kill Preston Garvey, dooming the Commonwealth Minutemen. A reminder that the mod allows you to kill key NPCs with one of the optional holotapes, so you don't need other mods for that. Except for children, no NPC is safe.
6. When recruiting Shaun with Project Valkyrie / Galac-Tac Retribution / Conquer the Institute / Cheat Holotape, you can choose to abandon the search for a cure. Then they can finally say goodbye and Shaun will shut off his power armor's life support and… die. You can also cancel this at the last second, keep Shaun alive indefinitely (while he continues to search for a cure to no avail) and still trigger the ending. This is the only way to trigger a final cinematic when you run out of mystery serums or FEV to give it. There is no time limit to save it, but you simply won't get its benefits.
7. It's entirely possible to review an ending after an ending movie has already played. Let's say you use the Brotherhood to save Shaun and destroy all the other factions, but then you destroy the Brotherhood and kill Shaun. If you play the final movie using holotapes, you will get different results.
Section 8: Complementary Mechanics
The father pet's mechanics are slightly different than most other pets. Here are the differences:
1. Does not nullify other companions. This means that Father and other companions can follow you and fight for you at the same time. Would you like to install Nora Companion and take a family trip to the shimmering sea? Do it. Would you like to have double super mutant companions with Shaun and Strong playing smashy smashy against your enemies? That's one thing too.
2. Unlike other vanilla companions, father has no real dynamic affinity system, his feelings towards you are completely dependent on how you finish the game (institution saved vs institution destroyed vs staged a coup to save him at the end of Project of expulsion of Valkyrie). . There's only one thing he really hates being shot at, but after a while he will "forgive" your abuse. Otherwise, you can engage in whatever degenerate crimes you want with it. There are also some actions that he likes/dislikes, for example, don't magibalize him, but this does not affect your relationship with him, he will never leave you. There are also no additional rewards from him after the end. You'll unlock the partner perk once you've recruited them both.Yhealed him
3. Assigning it to a settlement works a bit differently. Once assigned, you can only reassign itdirectly from the workshop interface. You cannot reassign it through the dialog.
4. (Human) Shaun wears indestructible power armor custom-built for the Institute. You can get him out, but only through a speaking test, as he's very reluctant to travel the wasteland without him. If the Project Valkyrie ending is chosen, he completely refuses to remove his power armor until he is cured of the cancer.
5. (Super Mutant) Shaun can only equip things that super mutants can equip. If Strong can't use it, then neither can he.
6. There is no option for romance. No, don't even ask! It does not happen
1. You can be told to do certain things, e.g. B. stay at a post, go to a place, inspect things, loot things, etc.
2. You can become a settler.
3. You can trade items.
4. You can fire.
5. He has a lot of idle dialogue and you get to find out a bit more about his past. You can also talk to him about your life before the war and whether you liked it or hated it.
6. There is an option to track your whereabouts, similar to vanilla companions, see one of the new holographic tapes at the Chem station.
1. His companion perk provides a 1% bonus to all experience gained and can restore various lost items such as Broadsider and Deliverer. It also allows you to create Institute and Underground (vault) themed clothing and hazmat suits, and also create the controversial Kells cape cut from the vanilla game. Rewards are available at Chem Station.
2. His amazing IQ allows him to hack any terminal. (Note that he sometimes gets stuck on the way to the terminal, but you can talk to him to free him.)
3. His power armor emits audio warnings about his HP/radiation levels and parodies Half-Life 1 and 2. (Disclaimer:It does not use any audio from Half-Life 1 or 2). Note that you will not receive the same audio alerts when you try to use your power armor. The Power Armor is designed to detect unauthorized use and disable medical systems. Only Shaun will be able to make the most of it.
4. He collects things (usually tech items, but not exclusively) and shares them with you once a day if you talk to him.
Also, many faction leaders, companions, and Virgil himself will notice that father is your companion and say... things.
Section 9: Other modifications and compatibility
The mod is compatible with most mods unless fundamental changes are made to the ending, especially mods that are not lore friendly or mods that make radical changes to how ending scripts work. Since there are a number of specific things that need to be done to save Father, sweeping changes to institute quests or locations can have unexpected results. For example, minor/medium changes to the FEV lab may be fine, but a complete redesign of the FEV lab could block the path to the FEV vial. The changes to Dr. Volkert may be nice, but removing Dr. Volkert will obviously lock you out of some ways to heal your father.
If you have the Start Me Up, Galac-Tac Retribution, Recall Code: Railroad, or Fusion City Rising mods active under certain parameters, the parent dialog can be easily modified. For example, some of these mods reflect your status as a parent to your father, making you an outsider or synth to him. Fusion City Rising mentions a biological son of its own. All these things are taken into account.
NOVanilla forms do edit, believe it or not, I'd rather add new stuff and use new scripts than change old ones. For example, when the game is first loaded, the FEV is added to the FEV lab via a teleport script, the FEV lab cell is not edited directly. However, there is no guarantee of 100% compatibility with all mods.
Mods you might want to use in conjunction with this mod:
Subversion: The Alternate Ending of the High School-Railroad Alliance
nora wife partner(when playing male)
Two Survivors - Nate Companion Mod(if you play female)
Marked for completion: A Terminator-inspired manhunt across the Commonwealth
super mutant milk armor(Super mutant Shaun can wear this if you don't like the lab coat)
If you want to see more mods here, let me know.
A game save to skip most missions and get to Father faster:
Fallout 4 vanilla savegame 99 percent complete
Section 10: Known Issues and Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What the heck is the Talk Like Arnie holographic tape? What happens if I activate this option?
A: It is no longer relevant. This was permanently disabled in 6.0 and the item in question was replaced with a "damaged holotape" that can be safely disposed of.
Q: When I try to heal Shaun, my game crashes or the chem station doesn't work properly in Dad's lab coat. What I can do?
A: It could be a compatibility issue with another mod, so try disabling a few things with the new holographic compatibility ribbon.
Q: All those holographic tapes break the fourth wall/dive, don't they?
A: The game menu too. But I discreetly place such strange things in the chemistry station. It's better to have the experience somewhat customizable. They can be completely disabled by typing "set zzBlockAll to 1" and "0" to cancel.
Q: Why aren't the new cinematics playing?
A: It's important to remember that they don't actually replace the standard cutscenes, the new cutscenes will play shortly after the standard cutscenes.
Did you accidentally turn them off too? If you missed the scenes, use the Chem Station items to play the ending.
Q: Where should I put this mod in my load order?
A: The mod doesn't edit standard forms, so it doesn't really have an impact. The only exception is to never place it after Talk Like Arnie. Talk Like Arnie plugins always appear last in the order they are specified, with no exceptions.
Q: The father is a complete monster who even endangered his own father/mother for an "experiment". Why would he want that horrible human being for a mate? He is literally Cancer!
A: He hacks terminals...
Seriously, what kind of response were you expecting?
Q: What is the safe way to uninstall this mod? I have already started the game.
A: There is no safe way to uninstall a mod without corrupting your save. You should ignore it instead. Everything this mod adds to the game is completely optional and I really mean it. It is entirely possible to play this mod until the final mission without even realizing that you have installed it. If you need to remove it, start a new game or reload a previous save before activating the mod.
Q: Does Dad retain his memories/intellect as a super mutant?
A: Yes, it does. It won't be some stupid Strong clone. He doesn't even like to eat people. In fact, he might even be the smartest super mutant in Fallout.
Q: Why can't the mysterious serum cure cancer on its own? Why do I need Vault 81 research?
A: I've thought about it for a while, and to be honest, it's unlikely to stop the cancer unless dad was taking unlimited regular doses, which is not an option. Stock is limited and Lorenzo won't give you more unless he uses it just for you. (Although you can use a dose to save dad before you meet Lorenzo and it won't bother Lorenzo.)
Curing him with a single dose would probably require some modifications. It's all fanfic speculation about exactly how the serum works anyway. No one really knows, I doubt even Bethesda does.
Q: The game crashed when I tried to mod Dad's Power Armor at my Power Armor Station, why?
A: Known issue, I'm afraid I can't help, you need to avoid this, also the original parts are hidden and can't be modified anyway, only changed by trading new ones with Shaun.
Q: Can I use the FEV on myself to become a super mutant?
A: No, the FEV will kill you. If you are in ridiculous health, consider yourself an "asymptomatic" FEV carrier. In any case, you cannot become a super mutant with this mod.
Q: I ordered my father to hack a terminal, it stopped moving. What I can do?
A: Dad can drop some terminals, especially when he's in his power armor. When this happens, you can talk to him and force him to try an alternate route to the terminal or stop hacking. Hacking will also be automatically canceled if you leave the area, so Father will follow you again.
Q: I sent my father to a settlement. How do I assign it to someone else?
A: A new reservation is only possible through the workshop interface via "Move".
Q: Will my father follow me back to school?
In a. Since the father fakes his death by the end of high school, he won't be coming back. However, he will follow you to the reformed Institute of the Valkyrie Project.
Q: I have already completed the main quest. Can I still have the father as a partner?
A: No, but you can get some new (but kind of sad) cinematics once you load the mod.
Q: Do I need DLC/mod/etc. Furnished?
A: No, this will work on a standard Fallout 4 with no DLC, no Creation Club content, no mods, no script extensions. Just keep your game updated and don't hack. Father Companion interacts with other mods through a series of scripts and clever keywords, but does not require mods.
P: Does Dr. Volkert still heal?
A: Because this mod adds new dialogue to Volkert and I don't mind being blamed for that.VainillaMistake, I decided to add a Volkert cure to this mod. If he is injured or exposed to radiation, Volkert must do it now.ALWAYSoffer you free medical care. It won't cure addiction, but it never has, not even in vanilla. He also won't bother with extremely trivial injuries, you need to be under 99% HP. You are welcome.
Q: How did you get all the original voice actors to reprise their roles as Nate/Nora/Father?
A: Well... I don't. I just took other lines from the game files along with the clipped content and rearranged them so the characters would say what I wanted to say. It doesn't always work perfectly, but it's the best option.
Q: But saving dad ruins the game!
A: It's not really a question, and saving it is optional.
Q: How is it possible to have the father as a partner if you destroy the institute? Father would never join you! My God, so hostile to tradition!
A: There is a fine line between something that is not friendly to lore and a work of fanfiction. Technically, all quest mods are hostile to lore because they are non-canon. The question is, would they be possible in the Fallout universe? Many of them, yes.
Q: I'm sorry, but there's no way dad is going to join you! This mod breaks tradition!
A: This is coming from people who have joined the Institute without really being loyal to it... Okay, Boomer/Zoomer. How do you know that Father's true long-term agenda isn't to infiltrate your Minutemen or use Vault 88 to rebuild the institute? Remember that Father worked with Kellogg for years and tolerated him while he plotted his downfall.
To answer your question, Father would join the Sole Survivor when his schedule required working with the Sole Survivor. We can only speculate what could be if the institute falls.
Q: So... I'm confused. Did the father actually have children or a family of his own or not? Aside from the synths that share his DNA, I mean... Is he lying?
A: This is intentionally kept vague as we really don't know. He will usually deny this, but if you use the Fusion City Rising mod, his dialogue will imply the opposite.
Q: I saved my father but nothing happened. He died anyway. Because?
A: As I have explained to you many times, when you finish the Institute, the Father fakes his death. I'm not going to redesign the entire school so Shaun can continue as principal. Also, no one would respect the head of a super mutant institute, so faking his death is definitely necessary if you go for the FEV option.
Q: How will the other faction leaders/Virgil/other teammates react to seeing Father?
A: Well, that's something you really need to find out, but many definitely won't keep quiet about it.
Q: Why doesn't the mod work for me?
A: How can I tell if you're not specific enough? Consider this: if it works for almost everyone else, the problem is probably on your end. If you don't know exactly, I can't help you. Please note that most bug reports are obviously incorrect and usually the user is doing something wrong. However, I am happy to investigate credible and detailed bug reports.
Q: Why do I have to download the full package with each patch? 1.2 GB is pretty big and most of it consists of endings that haven't changed...
A: Two reasons:
1) Too many people just download the core file and assume everything else is optional (even if it isn't) instead of dealing with hundreds of comments: "OMG why isn't this mod working?" It's easier to just hang everything.
2) Because it is the current year. Seriously, you probably don't have a phone connection.
Section 11: Contact Information
Please do not contact me if you hacked Fallout 4 and requested technical support for this mod. Here's my standard response to that: "Buy the damn game and let Steam update it, no I won't release a pirated version!" General messages like "Mod doesn't work" with no details or "How do I install mods" are ignored.
I'm currently working on making more quest mods in my spare time, if you're interested in what I'm doing let me know.
Like/subscribe/comment and all that jazz.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OF OR OTHERWISE WITH THE SOFTWARE.
2) You can now forcibly turn Father into a super mutant with the FEV if you complete the Project Valkyrie ending. This only works if he's following you and if you have failed to find a proper cure. Doing so removes him from any settlement but he can assigned back.Can you turn Shaun into a supermutant? ›
Volkert into giving you a sample of the FEV instead. This can also cure Shaun of cancer and doesn't require gathering any items, but comes at the cost of turning Shaun into a super mutant. Note that you cannot use the FEV to become a super mutant yourself, instead the FEV will kill you if used on yourself.Can you cure Shaun in Fallout 4? ›
No. Sean, the original son born pre war will always die if you progress to the end of the story. Either he dies when you destroy the Institute, you kill him yourself, or if you side with the Institute then he dies from his illness.Do you ever find your baby in Fallout 4? ›
The entire motivating factor for me all throughout the game was to find my son. Well, I found him, and he seemed like a pretty nice guy working on pretty important stuff with some pretty smart people.Can you get pregnant Fallout 4? ›
Childbirth- if you have sex with a human companion of the oposite gender, a baby may be born. In order for childbirth to happen, you must have a settlement with a baby crib, and someone assined to it. You can only have 1 baby at a time, to have a 2nd, you must advance time in the game (more on that later).Is Father evil Fallout 4? ›
Type of Villain
Shaun, also known as Father, is the son of the Sole Survivor and the leader of the Institute in 2287. He serves as the main antagonist of Fallout 4 unless the player character chooses to side with him.
Father Gabe is hostile to the Sole Survivor by default.
He certainly doesn't see himself as evil. However, when Shaun says he wants to help humanity rebuild and keep people safe, he really only means his people - the Institute. Shaun doesn't care about anyone else. He demonstrates this multiple times throughout the game.Can Super Mutants breed fallout? ›
In spite of their physically impressive qualities, Super Mutants are sterile and cannot reproduce as the gametes of the reproductive system consist of "half-cells" using split DNA, which could be perceived as "damage" by the FEV, and in the attempt to "repair" them, it would render the subject infertile.Does synth Shaun grow? ›
Shaun was created at the behest of Father, the director of the Institute, and is a Gen 3 synth based on the real Shaun's DNA. Shaun is unable to age and will remain a child forever.
The canon ending of Mad Father, consisting of Aya paying attention to Maria. The player is to search her for her key, backtrack to the Archives, go to her room and read her diary. The player must then proceed as usual. Towards the end, when Monika appears, choose to Save Father.Is it possible to save Kent Fallout 4? ›
The simpler solution is to unequip the helmet before entering the institution, in which case the Protectron should give you no trouble at all. To be safe, it's advised you don't try to reequip the helmet throughout the quest before ensuring Kent's survival.Can you save Lorenzo Fallout 4? ›
You can either release Lorenzo Cabot or kill him.
There's a switch near the door that you can press to free him, but think carefully about your actions, because he'll kill the other members of the Cabot family if you decide to set him free. You can also activate a different switch to kill Lorenzo while he's trapped.
Continue working with Father
You'll need to do a multiple main story Institute quests until Z1-14 will be ready. After completing Institute quest Powering Up, a Synth will tell you that Z1-14 is ready to meet you in your room. Z1-14 will tell you that the Brotherhood are ready to attack the Railroad.